Sunday, August 7, 2011

Birthday in Nicaragua

It feels weird, but we've hardly used our Spanish at all since being in San Juan; it took me a day or so to readjust my cultural clock. Our hosts, Karen and Roy, speak almost no Spanish. Salty 50-something ex-pats, they are true Libertarians who feel at home here in Nicaragua, I think, because it is a fairly lawless place. (You can't, for instance, go off and leave your home unattended, if you want to have a home to come back to. Squatters' rights are strong here.) They are extremely hospitable, though: Roy let us take his 'quad' four-wheeler to the beach and back several times (I stopped driving after accidentally rolling it into a ditch).


On Sunday night Roy and Karen made my birthday a real party (complete with BC bud and Nica rum), and we stayed up late with them playing Liar's Dice. It was definitely one of the best birthdays I've ever had.



No comments: