Friday, August 5, 2011

Fun Times in Granada, pt 2

Vanessa and I took a tour yesterday of a hammock factory in Granada that benefits at-risk youth. The hammocks were almost twice as expensive as in the market - but I bought one anyway. At $25 it still seemed like a bargain, and the money goes directly to a program that helps people who really need it.

Then we spent our last afternoon in Granada hiking Volcan Mombacho, and doing a zipline canopy tour. Canopy tours feel like cheesy gringo sport to me, and aren't really my thing - but everyone else seemed to really enjoy it. And I have to say that the guides were very professional, and made me feel safe, if not at ease. Plus it was pretty cool to be inside (and high above) an organic coffee plantation.

Later, when we got back to Granada and I showed Vanessa my photos from Volcan Mombacho, she noted the military transport truck that we'd taken up the mountain. "Those trucks used to roll through the villages, during the revolution," she said. Evidently they'd round up any male who looked old enough to hold a rifle - people would run through the streets, warning everyone that the transports were coming, and mothers would beg the soldiers not to take their young sons. So eery now, to be a clueless tourist inside those same transports, heading up a mountain to take a snapshot of the view.

Granada hammock factory
"Wonder Woman" Lesley

Sarah and Elliot suited up

We had to keep reminding people that Nik and Adam are not related...



No comments: