Monday, July 18, 2011

Granada Update

Street in front of Dona Fatima's, Granada

Our first day of class went well - though my teacher has a 4 month old baby & didn't sleep much last night, so he kept yawning. But after just one day I felt like I learned a lot - and Elliot is in love with his teacher. We are both studying one on one, too, which I really appreciate.

The school itself is pretty bare bones - the school I studied at in Guatemala was a lot better decorated. This place is run mostly by young men so that's probably why!

Fatima in her courtyard, with friends
Fatima's house is quite comfortable, and centrally located (only two blocks from school, and about five blocks from the parque central). Each room has a private bath, and there's plenty of room in the courtyard to hang out.


Fellow travelers Jo & Dorothy, with kids

Fatima is like a queen bee, who sits in a chair all day while various friends and family members come and go. There is a cook and a housekeeper (who live elsewhere but are here every day) and a handyman/watchman (Fatima's cousin, Carlo, who sleeps on the floor near the backdoor), and then two or three other close friends (women) who take care of us and make sure we are well fed. Fatima's husband just had some kind of angioplasty and is recovering (meaning he also spends his days in a chair in the courtyard). They have two teenaged grandkids who live here too - I have no idea where their parents are. It's all very... casual and latin. I haven't had too much opportunity to talk much yet w Fatima and the rest of the family - partly because of the Canadians, who have sort of become fellow travelers for the week, and who speak less Spanish than I do. (They leave for San Juan del Sur on Sunday.) I'm hoping to talk more with the family next week, and practice my Spanish more!

No comments: