Saturday, July 16, 2011

We're Here!



 
We made it safely to Granada - staying at Dona Fatima's, along with two single mom's from Toronto and their four (collective) kids, ages 6-8. Most fortuitous! Making up, I guess, for the crazy landing in a monsoon-like rainstorm last night. After an aborted landing attempt and half an hour circling over Managua, the pilot told us over the intercom that he was waiting until he could see the runway (always prudent) - and that if we started running out of fuel we could always go to Liberia. I thought this was really funny, as did several other people, until we realized that he wasn't talking about the small dangerous African country half-way around the world (hahaha); there's actually a small city in Costa Rica named Liberia, evidently with a landing strip. 

When we finally landed (with all the grace of a wounded elephant), the entire plane burst into applause. I had been mercifully engrossed in a conversation with a gentleman from Managua, but Elliot, it turns out, had been silently white-knuckled in fear. When the plane finally landed, he lost it, and it took quite a while for him to calm down. ("Don't worry, honey, we're safe, nobody's going to die"...)

Anyway, we're finally here, and we both got a good night's sleep. I'm still trying to sort out wifi - supposedly they have it here but I can't seem to get it on my iphone yet. I'm using my fellow traveler's macbook to write this.

Elliot's bored - gotta run.
Elliot in Dona Fatima's courtyard, Granada

No comments: